A short list of important/memorable things that happened last year.
- I started playing the violin and studying music theory & history.
- I started learning Finnish, and was very impressed with the efficiency of the Foreign Service Institute course materials. Tiedän noin neljännes sanat YLE Selkouutiset:ssa!*
- I took my university's one and only undergraduate PL course, aced it, and realized that I was passionate about the field and needed something way, way more in-depth.
- I applied for & received an NSF grant to attend POPL/PLMW 2016!
- I made incredible progress with my time management skills.
- I made some friends!
- I stubbornly insisted on shoehorning as much static typing as possible into homework assignments which were required to be written in Python, resulting in an intimate familiarity with MyPy and a new appreciation of Haskell's typeclasses/Rust's traits/whatever this thing is called in your favorite language.
- I started applying to grad schools.
- My views on the "women in tech" community changed drastically, and I pretty much completely stopped participating in it. These two things are related. I don't have any hard feelings about a particular person or event (in fact, most of the people I met are awesome!) but I have some serious issues from a structural perspective.
* There are probably twenty things wrong with this sentence. I am proud of it anyway because I made it without looking anything up and I think it might even be comprehensible.